E mail Me

Sunday, January 24, 2010

In a Student's Eyes

In Micheal Walsh's, "A Vision of Students Today", he starts out with a quote by Marshall McLuhan given in 1967. "Today's child is bewildered when he enters the 19th century environment that still characterizes the education establishment where information is scarce but ordered and structured by fragmented, classified patterns subjects, and schedules." In Walsh's video, he includes his Introduction to Cultural Anthropology students from the Spring of 2007 at Kansas State University. Each students writes down a fact about their time spent during an average day. The average classroom has 115 students, only 18% of teachers know their students name, I will read 8 books this year, I will read 2300 web pages and 1,281 facebook profiles, I will write 42 papers for class this year and over 500 emails, I spend two hours on my cell, two hours eating, three hours studying, I am a multi-tasker because I have to be, after college I will be $20,000 in debt, I facebook my friends during class, and when I graduate I will get a job that doesn't exist right now. These are some of the facts that were held up by the students. Walsh ends the video with a quote from Josiah F. Bumstead. "The inventor of this stuff deserves to be under the best contributor to learning and science. If not the greatest benefactor of all time".


I find it very interesting how Micheal Walsh and others, have taken the facts presented to show other students and professors know and learn the importance of technology. Although there are the down falls of technology, like the girl who wrote her friends on Facebook during class, which I find myself doing often, I do feel that technology is changing our world for the better day by day. As a student I know that I should find what is most important and make that my first priority. This is very hard considering I enjoy many things like the students in the video. Eating, listening to music, sleeping, watching television, and emails are just a few things that keep me occupied throughout the day. I am hoping that videos like this one, and computer class that I am taking will help my understand the importance of technology and the right way and time to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment