E mail Me

Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Social Media Count

The video of the Social Media Count is awesome and a little ridiculous. My next door neighbor is a sixteen year old student at a local High School. She is more than involved in these numbers increasing. She stays in front of the computer about six hours a day. Don't get me wrong, I think it is awesome that she is technologically literate and really knows her stuff...but!! What happened to kids getting outdoors and interacting with friends in person! I didn't have a cell phone until I was 17 so I was forced to call my friends and actually speak with them. My neighbor refuses to talk on the phone. She says that she rather text. That's fine because I'm a huge texter myself. Are my students going to be socially awkward because they are used to emails and text messaging. I really love the web and how it has grown and taught us so many wonderful ideas. I know whenever I'm a teacher one day that I will be open to learning and teaching all technology, but I hope we can teach our students to live outside the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment